Re: [Xen-devel] 3.1.1 release tag in staging

  • To: Ben Guthro <bguthro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:37:45 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:38:28 -0700

On 10/10/07 14:56, "Ben Guthro" <bguthro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Browsing through the 422 changesets - I realize that many changesets
> were pulled in as prerequisites for other, more major cs's.
>
> So now that this is out - is there a general summary in what major bugs
> were addressed in the 422 changesets that have been put into this point
> release?
> (A 0.0.1 change seems to indicate a minor upgrade - but in fact, 422
> non-trivial patches is a fair amount of churn.)

The approach for 3.1.1 was to backport any patch which is not part of an
implementation of a major new feature, or known to be potentially unstable.
Although this resulted in a large number of changesets being backported, I
think the approach has been vindicated by the stability of the release
candidates (particularly the lack of regressions vs. 3.1.0). Regarding the
number of bug fixes, browsing through the changelogs it's clear that the
majority of changesets are straightforward bug fixes, quite a few of which
could impact domU or even system stability if you tripped them.

We'll announce 3.1.1 after it has had a final round of automated testing. At
that point we would recommend all users and vendors of 3.1.0 to upgrade.

 -- Keir