[Xen-devel] Questions about direct hardware access, DMA, etc

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "David Stone" <unclestoner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:09:56 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:10:35 -0700

Hi folks, this is my first post to the mailing list.  I have a general
question about the state of various efforts aimed at granting a domU
physical access to a hardware device like a NIC, graphics card, etc.
I generally understand the challenges this poses to a hypervisor in
terms of interrupts and DMA.  I am specifically wondering about what
options are available when running non-Paravirtualized OSes (with
VTX/SVM)

I guess Xen has supported "driver domains" for awhile...but I assume
these don't work if the device uses DMA?  Or do they only work for PV
guests?

What projects/repositories are there (on
http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext or elsewhere) that address granting a
non-PV DomU access to a device...either with a hardware IOMMU or
without one?  I saw some slides on Neocleus that looked
interesting...my take was that they are giving a non-PV DomU access to
a device in the absence of a hardware IOMMU, is that roughly correct?
Is the Neocleus project in any particular repository now?

Thanks,
Dave