[Xen-devel] Re: Communicating with the domU from dom0 without Network

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 08:17:31AM -0400, Michael LeMay wrote:
> >  Anyway, I am just curious. Won't an extra serial port actually solve
> > all the problems that you are intending to solve using tcp like
> > communication? Is there any limitation to serial port communication,
> > especially since everything is happening in software?

 Actually I think serial port won't be sufficient actually. I am looking at it
from purely manageability perspective, but even then, serial ports does not
allow multiple simultaneious streams. I think in tcp/ip, the server gets a
connection at a particular master port, say 80, and then it creates a slave
socket at another port and spawns a child, and child actually carries out the
communication through this slave port. I am not really an expert in networking,
and that's my generic idea of how networking happens. Will such a system be
possible with serial ports. I don't think so. I think I will I have to come up
with some protocol to make multiple streams through serial port possible.
Anyway, a generalized tcp-like communication stream independent of the
networking stack looks like a good idea to me.

 Or maybe you can build a networking stack kind of thing on top of the serial
port. I am very new to Xen, and I will have to first get a proper system
running on it test it further.

 Thanks for your comments.

--
:: Ligesh :: http://ligesh.com