[Xen-devel] Re: Communicating with the domU from dom0 without Network

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 03:57:54PM +0300, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 06:10:15PM +0530, Ligesh wrote:
> >  Hi Folks,
> >
> >   I would like to have a discussion on whether if it isn't desirable
> >   to have some mechanism to directly communicate with the domU from
> >   the dom0. Wouldn't that make managing this entire setup much
> >   easier? In the openVZ, the vzctl tool can actually run anything
> >   inside a virtual machine. For instance, we can say 'vzctl exec
> >   $vpsid ps ax', and it will return the output of the 'ps' executed
> >   inside the vps. I realize that the virtualization concept is
> >   radically different in Xen, and thus this type of communication
> >   would be non-trivial.
> >
> >   Anyway, I would like to know the pros and cons of having a direct
> >   mechanism to communicate with the domUs. As far as I have seen,
> >   the inability to manage the domUs directly has been the ONLY
> >   drawback of xen.
>
> I agree this could be useful. If you have networking setup between
> dom0 and the domU's (which I think is set up by default), you can do
> this without any Xen involvement by just using ssh:
>
> ssh domu.ip.add.ress command args args args

 How do we do this for windows? The ideal would be an internal mechanism to
spawn and execute a process inside the DomU, and return its output/error/status
back. Or at least we should be able to send some message to the domU using its
NAME, and not ipaddress. This would make it easy to write scripts to automate
the management, which would be difficult with the ipaddress, since ipaddress
can change at some time.

 xen exec 'myvm.xm' command args

 or at least

 xen sendinfo 'myvm.xm' command args.

 Inside the vm there can be a process that can access these messages, and
respond accordingly. Anyway, the point is to have a mechanism to manipulate a
domU using its name, rather than the ip.

 Thanks.

--
:: Ligesh :: http://ligesh.com