[Xen-devel] Re: Communicating with the domU from dom0 without Network

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 04:32:03PM +0300, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 07:01:30PM +0530, Ligesh wrote:
> Unlike openvz where all containers can run the same executables and
> largely share the same environment, in Xen domU's have nothing in
> common except being able to run on the same CPU. "Running an
> executable" is inherently domain-specific and thus not something that
> Xen should know about.

  It is evident that it is a bad design choice to let Xen be aware of the
internals of domU, but I would like to know if it can be implemented as some
sort of extra or something. Anyway, that is what would be the _ideal_ system
management scenario. What would be practical is some form a message passing
system, where a process running inside the domU can get messages directly from
the dom0 without the help of network.

> >  Or at least we should be able to send some message to the domU
> >  using its NAME, and not ipaddress. This would make it easy to write
> >  scripts to automate the management, which would be difficult with
> >  the ipaddress, since ipaddress can change at some time.
>
> How about a simple script that given a domain's name or domain ID will
> return its IP?

 Is there any fool proof way to get an ip of the domU using its name? It is
possible that the domU has been configured internally with a totally different
IP from the one that has been assigned to it via the dhcp.

 Thanks for your time.

--
:: Ligesh :: http://ligesh.com