Re: [Xen-devel] silly questions: struct start_info

On 30 Sep 2005, at 17:09, Jimi Xenidis wrote:

KF> They are allocated from the domain's reservation, it's just that they
 KF> map themselves read-only.

arch/x86/domain.c arch_do_createdomain 253 d->shared_info = alloc_xenheap_page();

I assume this is done so Xen can access easily (without any xlate
issues). On PPC we don't have any such issues so allocating the
shared_info out of the domain seems more natural.

It sounds like there is no objection to this strategy, correct?

I think you will end up finding all sorts of assumptions in the tools that this page is not part of the domain's normal reservation. Unless you have a really good reason to allocate the page out of the normal reservation I would advise against it.

I agree it would be the neater way if x86 didn't need to do it the other way. But that's not the case and, if it's not broken I don't think you should try to fix it. :-)

 -- Keir