Re: [Xen-devel] Re: mini-os for Xen2

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Rick <judicator3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:37:41 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:41:01 +0000

Hi Keir,

You were right, I was missing the section __xen_guest.
So now when I create the domain I do not get any error message and I
do get a console.
So the 1st thing I am doing is just trying to write something on the
console with the hypervisor call "console_io". However, I do not see
anything on the console. In order to use the hypervisor calls, do I
have to first set up the trap tables, page tables and parse the shared
struct info etc ... ?  Also, is it important where I load the image ?
Right now my lds script specifies "0xC0000000" as the starting
address. I also tried "0xC0000000 + 0x100000" which I saw in the linux
lds script.

My head.S file is very simple and I invoke the hypervisor calls by
issuing the interrupts directly:

#define ENTRY(X) .globl X ; X :

.section __xen_guest
        .ascii"GUEST_OS=linux,GUEST_VER=2.6,XEN_VER=2.0,VIRT_BASE=0xC0000000"
        .ascii  ",LOADER=generic"
        .ascii  ",PT_MODE_WRITABLE"
        .byte   0

.text

/*
 * References to members of the new_cpu_data structure.
 */

        .globl _start
_start:
        cld

        movl    $18,%eax                        # __HYPERVISOR_console_io
        movl    $0, %ebx                         #  arg1 = 0 for write
        movl    $hello_message_len,%ecx #  arg2 = buffer length
        movl    $hello_message,%edx       #  arg3 = buffer virtual address
        int     $0x82

        movl    $6,%eax                 # __HYPERVISOR_sched_op
        movl    $2,%ebx                 # shutdown
        int     $0x82

hang:   jmp     hang                    # shouldn't get here

hello_message:  .ascii  "This is the hello world program\n"
hello_message_len = . - hello_message

Thanks
Richard