[Xen-devel] nvidia

If you aren't familiar with the nvidia binary-only drivers, what you get
is a binary module, and then some source code to wrap it which
translates between the binary module and the kernel.

Back when 2.[56] wasn't properly supported by NV I used to do the odd
bit of hacking to make it work with the new kernel, and from what I
remember there was sti/cli etc in the wrapper code (and that was one of
the incompatibilities at one stage), although not having visibility to
what's in the binary driver I can't say for sure that there is none in
there.

My understanding though, is that NVidia didn't want to reveal any trade
secrets and so released the code that talked to the hardware as a
binary-only driver. If that's the case, there should be no reason why
there'd be anything too nasty in there.

This is also stretching my memory a bit, but I think a few of the nv
developers used to sit on one of the nv related irc channels, maybe
they're still there and might be able to shed some light on the
situation? Anyone comfortable with irc?

The o/s nv drivers are 2d only and don't (afaik) make use of any of the
advanced features on the card for fast 2d or 3d graphics.

James