Re: [Xen-devel] Xen + globus steps

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Gregory Newby" <newby@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:44:48 -0900
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:45:24 +0000

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 08:45:44PM +0000, Ian Pratt wrote:

> > There is still a lot of Grid development to me do, but once it's
> > relatively stable and Xen 1.2 is out, I'll upgrade Xen.  The main
> > items I'm desiring from Xen:
> >
> > - large memory support (up to 4GB per virtual domain)
>
> This shouldn't be too hard, and I expect it will 'just happen'
> when we do the 2.6 port. We're going to wait for 2.6 to settle
> down a bit first, though.

Good to know - I will probably wait for 2.6 before upgrading
my Xen.

> > - SMP support (it looks like my dual processor system never uses
> >   the second processor at all, even with multiple Xen domains)
>
> SMP guests is on the todo list, but Xen is already itself SMP
> capable. All of our test machines are dual Xeon boxes
> (effectively four CPUs), so we regularly exercise it in SMP mode.
>
> Check the boot messages to see how many CPUs Xen finds. Also, if
> you've started multiple domains, do a 'domain list' and see which
> CPUs they're assigned to. Alternatively, hit 'd' on the serial
> line (or scroll lock -h on the keyboard) to get a dump of the
> run queue on each CPU.

Hmmm, it only finds one.  I thought this was all it supported,
from prior messages to the list.  Note, I'm using a pre-1.1 Xen,
so if it was added later that would explain.

>From dmesg:
Kernel command line: /xenolinux.gz root=/dev/sda2 ro console=xencons0 DOMID=0
Initializing CPU#0
Xen reported: 1694.911 MHz processor.

Just the one CPU...from "xenctl domain list", all domains are
on CPU0.

My grub boot args specify "noht", but I'm pretty sure the kernel
is SMP (it's the one from you folks, with only ReiserFS added).
Maybe "noht" is the problem (the 1.7Ghz Xeon processors don't
support hyperthreading, so I presumed I needed noht).

I know the second CPU works, from when I boot to the usual RH9 kernel.
Any ideas are welcome, otherwise I won't worry about it until
I upgrade to Xen 1.2 (or whatever) and kernel 2.6.

Have a happy!
  -- Greg