Re: [Xen-devel] New kernel won't boot

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Gregory Newby" <newby@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:11:36 -0900
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 06:57:22 +0000

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:17:41AM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> > > When I use the image.gz and xenolinux.gz from the CD
> > > (copied to my /boot), the exact same outcome happens
> > >  -- a reboot after "DOM0: Guest OS virtual load address is c0000000"
> > >
> > > However, I *can* boot directly from the CD with no problem.  I
> > > didn't experiment much, and never tried to get networking
> > > running, but it seemed like all the hardware was recognized.
> >
> > Hmm, this is important.
> >
> > Please could you try booting with dom0_mem=100000
> > I wander if there's something odd about the memory layout of
> > your machine.
> >
> > What version of GRUB are you using? Could you install the one
> > from the CD?  I'm wandering whether it's failing to load the
> > module into memory correctly.
>
> Actually that's very interesting. Xen currently assumes that physical
> memory is contiguous (ie. there are no memory holes above 1MB).

I don't think this is the problem, but supplied some details below.

> This is because it was hassle to implement the proper checking that is
> required, and I wouldn't be able to bug-test it because I have no
> access to a machine with a memory hole. Also, I suspect that our
> Xenoboot CD (our flexible alternative to GRUB) would need upgrading to
> supply the required 'e820 memory-areas list'.
>
> Can you send us the output from 'dmesg' for a normal Linux (not
> Xenolinux!) running on the problem machine? Actually all we need are
> the lines:
>  BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
>   BIOS-e820: ...
>   BIOS-e820: ...

That line didn't appear in my dmesg output.  Here is /proc/meminfo,
running 2.4.18-64GB-SMP:

        total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  2110263296 1106849792 1003413504        0 61300736 242073600
Swap: 3800055808        0 3800055808
MemTotal:      2060804 kB
MemFree:        979896 kB
MemShared:           0 kB
Buffers:         59864 kB
Cached:         236400 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:          84292 kB
Inactive:       218564 kB
HighTotal:     1179100 kB
HighFree:       923992 kB
LowTotal:       881704 kB
LowFree:         55904 kB
SwapTotal:     3710992 kB
SwapFree:      3710992 kB

Physically, this is 4 RIMMs, 512MB each.  I am using the grub from
your CD (recompiled from source).  More soon...
  -- Greg