RE: [Xen-users] Issues using nouveau video driver on machine as Dom0

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:16:14 -0500 <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> The patches are for PCI-e type cards. Your video card is PCI and
> goes through a AGP bridge. To get the AGP type support extra
> backporting from devel/agp.pci-api (git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git)
> would have to be done.

Maybe I have made some mistakes with my hardware configuration (in the BIOS) maybe?

Because on http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_nvs_notebook_techspecs.html

The NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M is represented as using PCI Express x16 Bus Interface

Quoting Wikipedia on the basis of the whole series [1]:

"The Nvidia Quadro series of AGP, PCI, and PCI Express graphics-cards comes from the NVIDIA Corporation. "

Would the fact that it is a mobile GPU make a difference? According to the reference table on Wikipedia, I found my card again stated as being PCI-E.

Quadro chip: NVS 140M

Core clock speed (MHz): 400

Memory clock speed (MHz): 600

Memory size: 128 MiB/256 MiB/512 MiB

Memory type: 64-bit

Memory bandwidth: 9.66 GiB/s

CUDA cores: 16

Max. power consumption (W): 10

Interface: PCI Express

3-pin stereo connector: Varies

Note: 8400M-GS based[citation needed]

I did some digging on information for the NVIDIA 8400M-GS to turn up this: http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8400M.html

And again from Wikipedia:

GeForce 8M Series

On May 10, 2007, NVIDIA announced the availability of their GeForce 8 notebook GPUs through select OEMs. So far the lineup consists of the 8200M, 8400M, 8600M, 8700M and 8800M series chips.[31] It has been announced by nVidia that some of their graphics chips have a higher than expected rate of failure due to overheating when used in particular notebook configurations. Some major laptop manufacturers are making adjustments to fan setting and firmware updates to help delay the occurrence of any potential GPU failure. In late July 2008, Dell released a set of BIOS updates that made the laptop fans spin more frequently.[32] As of mid-August, nVidia is yet to give further details publicly, though it has been heavily rumored that all or most of the 8400 and 8600 cards have this issue.

GeForce 8400M Series

The GeForce 8400M is the entry level series for the GeForce 8M chipset. Normally found on midrange laptops as an alternate solution to integrated graphics, the 8400M is designed for watching high definition video content rather than gaming. Versions include the 8400M G, 8400M GS, and 8400M GT. While these GPUs are not oriented for high-end gaming, the GDDR3-equipped 8400M-GT can handle most modern games at medium settings,[33] and is suitable for occasional gaming.

Both sources do not tell what the bus interface type is, so again I am relatively confident I am using a PCI-E video card.

Can I submit any data or additional information to assist in getting my video card compatible with the 2.6.32 branch kernel for use as a dom0 machine?

-M