Re: [Xen-users] Xen on Debian Lenny quite unstable

On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 15:49 -0400, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 09:22:01PM +0200, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
> > I have several servers running the Xen packages from Debian Lenny -
> > the cpu architectures are ranging from dual pentium III, dual xeons
> > from 4 years ago and current quad core xeons. All share a problem:
> > they frequently crash.
>
> Funny, that. I have a bunch of those machines too - all 64 bit installs,
> running on Opteron hardware, and no crashes. Been running those for a few
> years now.
>
> I'm guessing it's something specific you do :)
>
> Thanks,
> Ward.

I have to agree with Ward.

I am running out-of-the-box Debian Lenny with Xen (Xen 3.2-1, kernel
2.6.26-2-xen-amd64) on a pair of production boxes (Dual hex-core
Opteron).

Each is running five different DomUs performing various functions.
Among those are a DomU DNS server (Bind).  Those DNS servers are
precessing over 20 million look up requests per day with no crashes.

I do limit Dom0 memory and pin the CPUs.  None of the DomUs use CPU0.
The Dom0 has access to all CPUs.  I also cap the DomU CPUs to 80%.

Initially, I had network problems which were related to a NIC
(Gigaswift) driver problem.  A new (Intel) NIC solved that problem.

Please let me know if you would like more details on my configuration,

Steve.