Re: [Xen-users] How many guests

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jp.pozzi@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How many guests
From: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 12:14:22 +0200
Cc: Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 03:13:27 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sunday 06 June 2010 11:03:57 jpp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Le samedi 05 juin 2010 à 23:54 +0100, Jonathan Tripathy a écrit :
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > I have a Dell R210 server which has a Xeon X3430 Quad Core CPU (2.4Ghz x
> > 4) with 8GB of RAM. I intend to use the H200 controller in a RAID1 setup
> >
> > How many VMs do you think I'd be able to run on this machine? Is 20
> > pushing it?
> >
> > I'd say most (if not all) guests would be in PV mode.
>
> Hello,
>
> The number of VMs you can run is directly limited by the memory needed
> for each VM. If you have 8Gb, reserve at lease 1Gb for the Domain-0, so
> there are 7Gb left, if your VMs are 1 GB each you can run #7 VMs.
> If the load of each VM is high you will be limited by the processing
> power.
>
> Regards,
>
> JPPO

Storage could be a dealbreaker as well. RAID1 is not particularly ideal for
fast I/O. Predicting how many you can accomodate is really diificult. Indeed
memory is an issue, but they all will need to be able to access storage fast
enough. Guests with high wait times will perform too slowly.

B.