Re: [Xen-users] snapshots on xen

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 09:31:59AM +0200, Thomas Halinka wrote:
> Hi Pasi,
>
> Am Montag, den 12.04.2010, 09:20 +0300 schrieb Pasi Kärkkäinen:

> > When the guest is saved/stopped, you can take a backup of the disks,
> > and store the backup with the state/save-file.
>
> how does this behave with blktap2? i read that blktap2 passes all disk
> I/O-requests from VMs to the userspace deamon through a character
> device.
>
> As i read the release-notes correctly we should get a consistent FS,
> without "xm save" just through using blktap2/vhd?

Depends what you mean with 'consistent'.

If you want to do a disk snapshot online then you always need to coordinate
the snapshot with the guest OS/kernel/apps - the guest needs to have
the apps in a consistent state and all the buffers flushed when you take the
disk snapshot.

Windows provides VSS framework for this, but there's nothing general in Linux
for this.
And also you need to coordinate that stuff with the snapshot, have the timing
correct.

So, even if you used blktap2/vhd, you'd have to trigger and coordinate the
'prepare apps and flush caches'
in the guest to happen at the correct time for the disk snapshot to be
consistent.

XenServer/XCP has method for this, through the Citrix windows PV drivers.
So yeah.. blktap2 is just a part of the solution. You need more to actually do
it properly.

So "xm save" method is easier..

-- Pasi