Re: [Xen-users] snapshots on xen

To: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] snapshots on xen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 13:55:13 +0300
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 03:56:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 08:57:16PM -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> Hi all. I'm using sles11 for my xen servers. I would really like to be
> able to do hot snapshots of disk AND memory, and then have these
> snapshots backed up to tape or off site for disaster recovery. I'm
> thinking this would be done weekly or monthly, not nightly.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) Is this even possible?

1) xm save <guest> <guest>.save
2) save a copy of the guest disks
3) save a copy of the <guest>.save file
4) xm restore <guest>.save

Remember that for PV guests the guest kernel needs to have
proper/working save/restore/migration support. SLES11 kernels should have.

> 2) I could probably have the systems shutdown to make a clean backups,
> but it would need to be fast. My current file system would take too
> long.
>
> 3) What cluster file system is supported? I have sles11 with a Xiotech
> SAN. I thought I could do this with CLVM, but just found out I can't. So
> how would I do it? (even if I have to shut the domU down first)
>
> Right now I'm using ocfs2 and growable storage, which definitely doesn't
> support snapshots and copies take a pretty long time.
>
> Suggestions are appreciated.

Hopefully that helps.

-- Pasi