Re: [Xen-users] snapshots on xen

To: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] snapshots on xen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:20:29 +0300
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:21:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 08:58:59AM -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 13:55 +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 08:57:16PM -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> > > Hi all. I'm using sles11 for my xen servers. I would really like to be
> > > able to do hot snapshots of disk AND memory, and then have these
> > > snapshots backed up to tape or off site for disaster recovery. I'm
> > > thinking this would be done weekly or monthly, not nightly.
> > >
> > > Two questions:
> > >
> > > 1) Is this even possible?
> > >

> > 1) xm save <guest> <guest>.save
> > 2) save a copy of the guest disks
> > 3) save a copy of the <guest>.save file
> > 4) xm restore <guest>.save
> >

> Pasi,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Questions based on your response:
>
> 1) Is this dependent on the file system at all?

No, it's not.

> 2) When you do an xm save, does it automatically pause the domU and then
> basically make a copy of the disk?

No, it doesn't. Just try it. "xm save" will pause the guest, and then save the
cpu and memory state to a file, and then stop the domain.

Later you can resume (restore) the guest from the save-file.

It doesn't do anything with the storage/disks.

> 3) I assume I  would expect the process to take the same amount of time
> as a normal copy of the disk?

Yes.

When the guest is saved/stopped, you can take a backup of the disks,
and store the backup with the state/save-file.

-- Pasi