RE: [Xen-users] Networking with DomU(s) with public statis IPs

To: "'Marcin Owsiany'" <marcin@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Jordi Espasa Clofent'" <sistemes.llistes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Networking with DomU(s) with public statis IPs
From: "Artur Linhart - Linux communication" <AL.LINUX@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:22:56 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:25:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

        I've seen You have already the answers for Your questions... I have
one little bit off topic remark to the mentioned proposed network topology -
I think it is better to have no public addresses at all defined on Your
servers and define only the rules for the forwarding on the service-level on
Your firewall/routing system - TCP/UDP packets incoming to specific ports of
the virtually assigned public IP addresses of Your firewall/router system,
are then being forwarded to the internal private IP addresses. So only your
firewall, which also virtually serves all such public addresses, knows from
which public address has to be which service forwarded to which internal
server with the private IP...
I find this configuration the safest way, securing You from Your mistakes in
the firewall configuration as well as from the mistakes in the configuration
of the servers itself...
And even if somebody can bring Your firewall to some error, which would
cause there would be released all blocking packet rules and the firewall
lets go "through" whole traffic from outside, without redefining the
forwarding on the firewall Your servers cannot be hacked in other way as
over the published and allowed services which You can possibly better secure
than other services, which are obviously used for internal management of the
servers, maintenance data transfers, etc.
Sure, sometimes it is not possible, especially if You have to work with
other protocols like TCP, UDP and ICMP, but in 95-99% of cases all obvious
services run over the given 3 Protocols.

        With best regards

                Archie