RE: [Xen-users] Domain-0 freezes when mounting a cloned domU with dd

To: "'Franck ELIE'" <Franck.Elie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Domain-0 freezes when mounting a cloned domU with dd
From: "Artur Linhart - Linux communication" <AL.LINUX@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:22:56 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:25:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

        Because I use LVM for creation of logical volumes for DomU, I make
the backup so I shutdown the DomU, then create a snapshot volume and then
start again the DomU... Then I can dd the snapshotted volume with the
consistent state...

        At least I hope this is the safe and clear way how to do it, because
the LVM subsystem has to handle itself such a problematic situations you
write about and should "somehow" perform the flush of all caches before the
snapshot is created, or - even if it would not be written everything to the
disk - LVM should make it transparent to You also without having all data
really written to the "iron" device... At least I do not know abot nobody
who would say something different :-)...

        If You do not use LVM, I do not know how to flush the caches, but
I'm sure somewhere must be someutility which is able to do it... Maybe (?)
at least if You try to mount the device from Dom0 after DomU has been shut
down I think this could help - I canot imagine the volume could be mounted
in the inconsistent state - but it is only my feeling and I am no Linux guru
:-)

        With regards

                Archie