Re: [Xen-users] Safe iSCSI & Live Migrations

To: Simon Capstick <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Safe iSCSI & Live Migrations
From: Matthew Wild <M.Wild@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:58:07 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 03:58:50 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>> In the most recent SuSE xen implementations, there are some scripts for
>> block devices that will connect to an iSCSI target as it's needed by the
>>  domU and allows you to specify the vbd as iscsi:iqn...
>>
>> After some hacking to make them work with the latest open-iscsi, they
>> seem to do OK. I haven't tried them with migration yet as I need to set
>> up the 2nd 16cpu box.
>>
>> Matthew
>
> Interesting, I didn't realise Novell/SUSE had done this.  In my Xen DomU
> configs I use disk stanzas like this:
>
> disk =
> ['phy:disk/by-path/ip-192.168.0.2:3260-iscsi-iqn.2007-08.com.example:storage.xen.domUname.root-lun-0,sda1,w']

That's similar to how mine are on some older xen boxes. I had to modify
a udev rule to properly manage luns and partitions from the iscsi targets.

> It would be nice if there were some scripts that would recognise the
> block device as being iscsi (seems straightforward).  Then the scripts
> could do any appropriate iSCSI logoffs/logons on the Dom0s during DomU
> migrations and DomU start-ups.

That's certainly what these scripts are like, for creation at least.
They're just fairly simple bash scripts.

Matthew
--
Matthew Wild                       Tel.: +44 (0)1235 445173
M.Wild@xxxxxxxx                    URL http://www.ukssdc.ac.uk/