[Xen-users] Re: [Libvir] Xen physical host statistics

To: Mindaugas Kiznis <mk@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: [Libvir] Xen physical host statistics
From: "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:10:50 +0100
Cc: libvir-list@xxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 03:13:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mindaugas Kiznis wrote:
- I am trying to make an application, which would connect to a remote xen host and fetch some information about total (physical) CPU usage, total memory usage, network and disk I/O. I have managed to do a remote statistics grabber for CPU and memory usage using libvirt. I couldn't find any source of information about libvirt ability to return I/O numbers. Also haven't found any other solution yet. Any suggestions?

It's very interesting that you should ask this, because I am investigating adding network I/O and block I/O stats to libvirt. We would get the information from /sys/devices/xen-backend/... in the same way that libxenstat does it at the moment, and pass that up through libvirt APIs. As with all libvirt-related stuff we need to think about how it will apply to the other hypervisors that we support and could support in the future.

You are quite right that there is no facility for this in libvirt right now (just CPU-/memory-based stats at the moment).

See also: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top/

Rich.