Re: [Xen-users] Safe iSCSI & Live Migrations

To: Matthew Wild <M.Wild@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Safe iSCSI & Live Migrations
From: Simon Capstick <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:26:27 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 02:27:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In the most recent SuSE xen implementations, there are some scripts for
block devices that will connect to an iSCSI target as it's needed by the
 domU and allows you to specify the vbd as iscsi:iqn...

After some hacking to make them work with the latest open-iscsi, they
seem to do OK. I haven't tried them with migration yet as I need to set
up the 2nd 16cpu box.

Matthew

Interesting, I didn't realise Novell/SUSE had done this. In my Xen DomU configs I use disk stanzas like this:

disk = ['phy:disk/by-path/ip-192.168.0.2:3260-iscsi-iqn.2007-08.com.example:storage.xen.domUname.root-lun-0,sda1,w']

It would be nice if there were some scripts that would recognise the block device as being iscsi (seems straightforward). Then the scripts could do any appropriate iSCSI logoffs/logons on the Dom0s during DomU migrations and DomU start-ups.

Apart from authentication all the info needed for the logoff/logon is in the disk/by-path block device names. I'm assuming that specifying the vbd as an iscsi:iqn is a SUSE thing rather than a more distro agnostic thing, since I've not seen it elsewhere?

Simon