RE: [Xen-users] amd64 system only seeing 3.5gb instead of 4gb of memory

To: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] amd64 system only seeing 3.5gb instead of 4gb of memory
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:37:43 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 02:39:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Further to what has already been said (all of which is sensible and good
suggestions):
1. Assuming you have an AMD processor, you need a procesor that is Rev E
or later.
2. You need to have PAE or 64-bit mode to see any memory ABOVE 4GB (so
even if it's remapped, non-PAE will not be able to "get there" because
it's strictly limited to 32-bit memory addresses, which is 4GB in total
- this is why the PCI memory is located around the end of 4GB).
3. Your BIOS must enable "memory hoisting", which is the techie name for
"move memory from under PCI space to someplace else".

--
Mats