RE: [Xen-users] How many VMs/domains can Xen run?

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] How many VMs/domains can Xen run?
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 01:38:53 +0800
Cc: Rafa Grimán <rafagriman@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:51:31 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 15:57 +0100, Petersson, Mats wrote:

> In a default build and without any changes to command-line, the heap that Xen
> uses to allocat it's internal

> data limits the number of domains to around 100 in the 13 MB of heap that is
> default.

> It's perfectly possible to increase this by changing a constant in a
> header-file,

If interested in tinkering with it the header file is:

[xen-src]/xen/include/asm/config.h , lines of interest are between 210 -
240 .. I tried decreasing it to cram and optimize Xen in small 2.6 based
systems and it seemed to work (kinda), haven't done much with that
particular project since funding got pulled.

The result was unstable, but we played with quite a bit more too, so I
can't be certain adjusting it for x86_32 results in something unstable.

Keep in mind "asm" is going to be a symlink to whatever the target was
of your last build, use readlink to be sure :)

Best,
-Tim