RE: [Xen-users] How many VMs/domains can Xen run?

To: "Rafa Grimán" <rafagriman@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] How many VMs/domains can Xen run?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:57:06 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:49:13 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a default build and without any changes to command-line, the heap that Xen
uses to allocat it's internal data limits the number of domains to around 100
in the 13 MB of heap that is default. It's perfectly possible to increase this
by changing a constant in a header-file, but there are some side effects (that
I don't quite remember what they are). In the 64-bit version(s) of Xen, you can
even just throw on a command-line argument to increase the heap, but not in
32-bit mode (because of said side-effects).

[Speculation: I believe the side-effects is that more space is occupied by
page-tables in each domain, so if you increase the size of the heap, each
domain will have to have extra page-table-entries to get to the large sized
heap, and thus each domain will in itself take up more space - but that's just
what I think].

So, assuming we'd increased the size of the heap, the answer is really "As many
as you can fit in your memory"... And if they are small, that could be quite a
few!

--
Mats