Re: [Xen-users] Xen and iSCSI

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 01:45:15PM +0100, Markus Hochholdinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, 29. Januar 2006 13:06 schrieb Pasi Kärkkäinen:
> [..]
> > So you have used SAN+CLVM with Xen ?
> > Is CLVM considered stable? Have you had problems with it?
> > And also it would be nice to know what version of the distribution, kernel,
> > clvm and xen you have been using..
> > I'm going to try CLVM in couple of weeks, and it would be nice to know
> > other people's thoughts about it.
>
> as far as i read the docs clvm is a part on top of lvm2. But i don't really
> see what's the benefit of clvm? It must be that clvm is able to work on top
> of shared storage (like iscsi, gnbd, ..) from different hosts? Means that
> multiple clvm on different hosts use the same block devices and clvm manages
> that nothing bad happens (write from two lokations to the same block device
> (partition) are managed).
>
> But if anyone knows for real, let us know?

CLVM makes it possible to have /dev/vg-shared/domU1-lv volume available in both
xen
hosts.. so you can migrate domU's easily between xen hosts.

Basicly you set up only one block device (over iSCSI or gnbd) for each
xen host (dom0), and then use CLVM with that device.. really easy & simple
to share all the logical volumes between xen hosts.

If you don't use CLVM, you need to set up separate iSCSI/gnbd device in xen
host/dom0 for yeach domU.. much harder to manage & setup.

-- Pasi