xen-ppc-devel

Re: [XenPPC] continuous reprogram_timer[00] messages

To: xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [XenPPC] continuous reprogram_timer[00] messages
From: Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:31:26 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:33:27 +0000
Sender: xen-ppc-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thursday 30 March 2006 16:15, Mark F Mergen wrote:
> Since all the pushes yesterday and a few more today (but not before that),
> I run up-to-date builds of xen-ppc (without any of my mods) and linux-2.6
> running on mambo-gpul built Feb 23.  Seems to make normal progress through
> early boot, while producing almost continuous reprogram_timer[00] messages.

In the future please paste the exact error message into your email so we can
see exactly the problem you're hitting.

> Eventually puts out message BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0!  but keeps
> on running with continuous reprogram_time[00] message and occasional other
> more normal-looking boot messages interspersed.  Are either of you seeing
> anything like this?  Must I rebuild mambo?  Perhaps you aren't testing on
> mambo before pushing, and this is something that only happens there because
> of much slower execution throwing off some timer logic?

That's looking likely. I'm testing on Maple.

reprogram_timer() in Xen compares the requested expiration time with the
timebase. How does the timebase work on Mambo? Does it run proportional to
the number of simulated cycles, or in real time? I'd assume the former, in
which case there shouldn't be a problem, so a little more investigation may
be needed to figure out how to fix this.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center