Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Shall we put open source firmware source in XEN/IA6

To: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Shall we put open source firmware source in XEN/IA64 tree
From: Aron Griffis <aron@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 15:23:26 -0400
Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 12:24:29 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Alex Williamson wrote:  [Thu Sep 13 2007, 08:32:23AM EDT]
> On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 14:58 +0200, tgingold@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > Quoting "Zhang, Xing Z" <xing.z.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > > Hi Alex:
> > >   The open source firmware works fine now. Shall we put it in
> > > XEN/IA64 tree? So when people do clone, they also get firmware source.
> > > Then
> > > we can add a script in Makefile to build binary
> > > for people when they building source of XEN/IA64. This can make
> > > XEN/IA64 pure open source and convenient to user.
> > >
> > > Any advice?
> > I fear the sources are too big (almost the same size as Xen).
> > But we may put the binary in the tree.
>
>    I agree, I think the added build tool dependencies and login to pull
> the tiano code base would preclude us from putting it into the main
> tree.  Instead of putting the binary in the xen build tree, perhaps
> 'make install' could wget it from the efi-vfirmware.hg tree?  Something
> like:
>
> wget -O xenia64-gfw.bin
> http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/efi-vfirmware.hg?raw-file/tip/binaries/xenia64-gfw.bin

Is there a good reason to do this instead of dropping the binary in
the repo?  Downloading files at "make install" time tends to be
problematic for distributions.  Also it assumes that the installation
machine has Internet access, xenbits.xensource.com is alive, and adds
a dependency on yet another mercurial repo for installation.

If you'd rather keep it out of the repo, maybe it could be downloaded
via another make target, which would then be integrated to the
top-level make default target.  That way a "make install" doesn't have
further network dependencies.

Aron