RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] CPL of linux

To: "Tristan Gingold" <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] CPL of linux
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 09:59:48 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 18:00:27 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm surprised to hear that both are used.  Perhaps CPL1
for fully virtualized and CPL2 for paravirtualized?

I think on Xen/x86, PL=1 is used.  On Xen/ia64, PL=2 is
used (or so I thought!).  The reason is that vBlades
used PL=1 for the I/O+management domain which was
isolated from normal guests by this privilege level
difference.  I've always thought that there might be
good reasons in the future for domain0 to be more
privileged than domU so never switched to Xen/x86's
PL=1.

Whether PL=1 or PL=2 probably doesn't matter unless some
guest kernel may accidentally get switched between them.
But if that happened, I'd assume we'd see a kernel
BUG pretty quickly.

Dan