RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] RFC: Switch to xlilo now? Or post-3.0?

To: "Yang, Fred" <fred.yang@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] RFC: Switch to xlilo now? Or post-3.0?
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:45:10 -0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:45:02 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Fred --

> Two things to point out -
>
> 1. elilo.efi should only give warning message if you put "vmm=..."
> entries at the end of elilo.conf.  So elilo.efi can continue
> to work on
> elilo.conf entries for the native Linux even with "vmm=" in it.

I think you are correct that this is just a warning.  However
if you are using the elilo.efi timeout feature that automatically
selects an elilo.conf entry to boot, the warning results in
an exit to "manual mode."

> 2. elilo.efi should continue to work on "image=xen.gz
> initrd=xenolinux"
> boot, but you can't take advantage of loading initrd as xlilo.efi.
> Unless the startup code got changed.

Once the xen4elilo patch got applied, this no longer worked
for me.  It may have been my pilot error.  Could you confirm
that with the xen4elilo patch applied you are able to use
the old elilo.efi and the old elilo.conf file?  If so,
I would have already applied the patch.

Thanks,
Dan