[Xen-ia64-devel] Xen linkage failed with Dwarf Error

To: "Xen-IA64-Devel" <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] Xen linkage failed with Dwarf Error
From: "Philippe Berthault" <Philippe.Berthault@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:25:42 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 May 2005 13:25:11 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have tried to build Xen-IA64 on a Tiger system (Intel SR870BH2), following the
instructions of README.xenia64 file.

The Xen sources are issued from xen-unstable-src.tgz archive, downloaded
this morning (may 26, 2005) from the Xen web site.

The compilation is OK but the linkage (ld) of Xen is failed with several messages:
  "Dwarf Error: Could not find abbrev number ..."
     and
  "Dwarf Error: DW_FORM_strp offset (n) greater than or equal to .debug_str size ..."

The Linux installed on my system is RHEL-AS3, update 4.
gcc version is 3.2.3 and ld version is 2.14.90.0.4.

I thinks the problem comes from the RHEL version too old for building Xen
from Linux 2.6.11 sources. I supposes RHEL version 4 is necessary for
building Xen. Anyone could confirm this ?

Thanks.