Re: [Xen-devel] X11 problem with dom0 pvops kernel on Xen 4.0.1

Xen Developers,

I am posting this last note to provide closure for others who search this
thread some time in the future. Konrad's correction that you should not use raw
`startx` allowed me to proceed. PEBCAK. Using the runlevel has allowed me to
resolve all other problems, except not being able to depmod a nouveau driver.
Both pvops and hvm guests run just fine, with lots of interesting XEN messages
on my serial console. So we can add nVidia Quadro NVS 285 to the list of cards
that work with pvops dom0. I have not been able to fix the nouveau problem, but
video runs ok without it. I have no idea what is wrong with the BIOS in the
newer machine and will not debug.

Thanks to Konrad and Boris for teaching an old dog new tricks.

Sincerely,

John

On Sep 21, 2010, at 10:58 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> The way you start you X by doing 'startx' is not kosher anymore. The Kernel
> ModeSetting put things on its head such that you need to be more careful. The
> proper
> way is to do 'exec /sbin/init 5' or 'telinit 5' in your VNC window for the
> guest.
> That should work.

----
What is the formal meaning of the one-line program
#include "/dev/tty"

J.P. McDermott                          building 12
Code 5542                                       mcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Naval Research Laboratory       voice: +1 202.404.8301
Washington, DC 20375, US        fax:   +1 202.404.7942