Re: [Xen-devel] X11 problem with dom0 pvops kernel on Xen 4.0.1

To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] X11 problem with dom0 pvops kernel on Xen 4.0.1
From: "John McDermott (U.S. Navy Employee)" <john.mcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:04:34 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:05:31 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sep 20, 2010, at 10:48 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 12:53:50PM -0400, John McDermott (US Navy Employee)
> wrote:
>> Xen Developers,
>>
>> I have encountered what appears to be an interesting video or DRM problem
>> while
>> attempting to install Fedora 13 as an HVM, using a 2.6.32.18 PVOPS dom0,
>> running
>> on Xen 4.0.1 on Fedora 13. Using virt-install --nographics, it reaches the
>> point
>> following the XML display of the boot guest configuration and then hangs with
>> garbage displayed on my remote xterm console. (Virt-install --vnc dies
>> also.) My
>> serial console shows a bunch of
>>
>> (XEN) HVM2: int13_harddisk: function 41, unmapped device for ELDL=81
>>
>> and then some
>>
>> (XEN) vlapic.c:702:d2 Local APIC Write to read-only register 0x30
>>
>> error messages.
>>
>> The hardware is a Dell Precision 690 with an Intel E6320 processor (I don't
>> think this is the issue) and an nVidia Quadro NVS 285, which X11 reports as
>> nVidia NV 44. Plain old Fedora 13 uses the nouveau driver with no problems.
>> Udev
>> tells me it is version 153. The problem remains even with the kernel booted
>> nopat.
>
> Uh, can you explain this in more detail? Are you passing through your NVidia
> card?

@Konrad, no pass through, thanks. I assume the default PVOPS DRM/KMS is what is
happening. I am using both nomodset and nopat, so based on what I see on the
Xenwiki about DRM and PVOPS, it should just work. However, all of my code-level
experience is inside the hypervisor, so I am accepting the kernel as a black
box. I am hoping it is just a problem-exists-between-keyboard-and-chair, but I
can't find anything along those lines and I already got some pretty expert help
from the Xen users list.

Should I try the drm.debug flag? I think maybe there is also an apic_debug flag?

The kernels boot fine, including video, as dom0. In fact, running as dom0, they
forward X11 no problem. When I install an F13 image as a pvops domU, the domU
cannot start X. I agree that sounds like an attempt to pass-through is somehow
screwing things up, but I have not configured the guest for pass through.

Is there a known-good F13 image I could try to install, in case the one I am
trying is somehow wrong for this?

----
What is the formal meaning of the one-line program
#include "/dev/tty"

J.P. McDermott                          building 12
Code 5542                                       mcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Naval Research Laboratory       voice: +1 202.404.8301
Washington, DC 20375, US        fax:   +1 202.404.7942