RE: [Xen-devel] Intel VT-d Support

To: "Igor Chubin" <igor@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Intel VT-d Support
From: "Li, Haicheng" <haicheng.li@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:07:14 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 19:08:05 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> There are no strings found
> even with VT-d enabled in BIOS.
>
> # xm dmesg | grep vt
> # xm dmesg | grep -i vt

Make sure you have added vtd=1 in xen line of grub entry; look into [1],
there is an example.

> How can I check if Xen-code was built with
> VT-d support?
>
> (I have tried to use VT-d on precompiled Debian binaries of Xen 3.2
> and on xen-unstable with default build options)

Not sure debian binary but xen-unstable enables vt-d by default.

>>> What a line should I look for?
>>
>> Find the line "Intel VT-d has been enabled."
>

> So this line must be shown in xm dmesg.
> Thank you.
>
> No I must find the reason why there no such a line.

Firstly make sure vt-d is enabled in bios. If your chipset really
supports vt-d and `xm dmesg` has such a line as "No DMAR devices found"
or any dmar related error, that would mean your bios needs to be
upgraded.

>>> And if my installation was really built with VT-d support,
>>> how can I be sure, that Xen has successfully
>>> initialized VT-d hardware?
>>
>> Try assigning a pci device to hvm guest as [1] describes. If vt-d is
>> not enabled or the device is not hidden, the guest creation will
>> fail. otherwise, you can use `lspci` in the guest to find out the
>> device assigned.
>

> Yes, guest creation fails with the message:
>
> # xm create win2k3_clone
>
> Using config file "/etc/xen/win2k3_clone".
> Error: Fail to assign device(7:9.0): maybe VT-d is not enabled, or
> the device is not exist, or it has already been assigned to other
> domain

It is a correct behavior.

> For pv domains all works fine.
>

>>> I have read [1] and the lists archives