Re: [Xen-devel] Intel VT-d Support

To: "Li, Haicheng" <haicheng.li@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Intel VT-d Support
From: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 16:46:08 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 06:47:43 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you for answers,

On Mi, Mär 05, 2008 at 09:00:30 +0800, Li, Haicheng wrote:
> Igor Chubin wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >

> > please tell me, how can I be sure that
> > my Xen installation is built with Intel VT-d support?
> >
> > Something like
> >
> > xm info | grep -i KEY-REGULAR-EXPRESSION
> > xm dmesg | grep -i KEY-REGULAR-EXPRESSION
>
> Use "xm dmesg | grep -i vt-d".

There are no strings found
even with VT-d enabled in BIOS.

# xm dmesg | grep vt
# xm dmesg | grep -i vt

How can I check if Xen-code was built with
VT-d support?

(I have tried to use VT-d on precompiled Debian binaries of Xen 3.2
and on xen-unstable with default build options)

> > What a line should I look for?
>
> Find the line "Intel VT-d has been enabled."

So this line must be shown in xm dmesg.
Thank you.

No I must find the reason why there no such a line.

> > And if my installation was really built with VT-d support,
> > how can I be sure, that Xen has successfully
> > initialized VT-d hardware?
>
> Try assigning a pci device to hvm guest as [1] describes. If vt-d is not
> enabled or the device is not hidden, the guest creation will fail.
> otherwise, you can use `lspci` in the guest to find out the device
> assigned.

Yes, guest creation fails with the message:

# xm create win2k3_clone

Using config file "/etc/xen/win2k3_clone".
Error: Fail to assign device(7:9.0): maybe VT-d is not enabled, or
the device is not exist, or it has already been assigned to other
domain

For pv domains all works fine.

--
WBR, i.m.chubin