Re: [Xen-devel] uint64_aligned_t not compatible across gcc versions

To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] uint64_aligned_t not compatible across gcc versions
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:18:42 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:18:58 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 29/8/06 9:49 am, "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One more point here: The addition of this type and XEN_GUEST_HANDLE_64(),
> as it turns out, makes things more complicated/unreliable in the compatibility
> stuff rather then helping the situation: Since we need to force 4-byte
> alignment on uint64_t (and possible derived types) fields, we have to use
> #pragma pack() framing the entire (generated) compatibility headers.
> However, #pragma pack() takes precendence over attribute((aligned())), and
> hence there is no easy way to force 8-byte alignment on uint64_aligned_t
> fields.

Depending how smart the script is, if it tracks required offset of fields in
the structure definitions it is creating, it could insert explicit padding
to force the required alignment.

As for ensuring sysctl/domctl alignments are same for 32- and 64-bit builds,
we'd anyway like a script that would generate a C program that would print
field offsets/sizes for all public structures anyway (so that we can be sure
that none change and break the ABI). If we had that, we could compile the C
program -m32 and -m64 for sysctl.h and domctl.h and ensure the outputs are
identical. I think this would be an ideal solution -- but it does assume
existence of a tool that doesn't exist. :-)

Alternative is to say 'screw it' and just treat the sysctl/domctl headers
like any other, and remove the explicit alignment stuff before we fork
3.0.3. Domctl in particular is a *big* interface though, so it'd be nice to
avoid needing to generate (much) compat code for it.

 -- Keir