[Xen-devel] Re: some build configuration issues

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: some build configuration issues
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:32:24 +0000 (UTC)
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:45:05 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hollis Blanchard <hollisb <at> us.ibm.com> writes:
> In xen/drivers/Makefile and xen/Makefile, we need to avoid building
> ACPI. More generally, I think it would be a good thing to get away from
> the "ifeq ($(XEN_TARGET_ARCH),foo)" hackery that can be found all over
> the Makefiles. Linux would do it this way:
>       obj-$(CONFIG_ACPI) += acpi/
> Since I don't think we have too many feature permutations to worry about
> in the Xen core, having a per-architecture config.mk would work, e.g.:
>       CONFIG_ACPI := y
>       CONFIG_VMX := y
> Note that CONFIG_VMX needs to be used in tools/libxc/Makefile, and
> CONFIG_ACPI in xen/drivers/Makefile, so this would need to be a
> top-level include.

Sounds good to me... for the short-term.  I think
the eventual goal is to move drivers/xen to a separate
tree as part of the linux merge effort.  I guess then
the contents of config.mk would be merged into the
standard Linux config.

One question though... if you disable CONFIG_ACPI, you
can't achieve transparent paravirtualization, correct?
On ia64, Xen provides a "pruned" ACPI tree.

Dan