Re: [Xen-devel] Re: some build configuration issues

To: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: some build configuration issues
From: Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:51:58 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:49:50 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sep 13, 2005, at 5:32 PM, Dan Magenheimer wrote:

Hollis Blanchard <hollisb <at> us.ibm.com> writes:
In xen/drivers/Makefile and xen/Makefile, we need to avoid building
ACPI. More generally, I think it would be a good thing to get away from
the "ifeq ($(XEN_TARGET_ARCH),foo)" hackery that can be found all over
the Makefiles.

By the way, I retract this statement. There aren't that many XEN_TARGET_ARCH comparisons in the Makefiles (they're only in the Makefiles I've looked at :) . Of course, adding PowerPC will increase this number. Also, there's a fair amount of "#ifdef foo" in C code.

Linux would do it this way:
        obj-$(CONFIG_ACPI) += acpi/
Since I don't think we have too many feature permutations to worry about
in the Xen core, having a per-architecture config.mk would work, e.g.:
        CONFIG_ACPI := y
        CONFIG_VMX := y
Note that CONFIG_VMX needs to be used in tools/libxc/Makefile, and
CONFIG_ACPI in xen/drivers/Makefile, so this would need to be a
top-level include.

Sounds good to me... for the short-term.  I think
the eventual goal is to move drivers/xen to a separate
tree as part of the linux merge effort.  I guess then
the contents of config.mk would be merged into the
standard Linux config.

Actually I'm referring to xen/drivers, not linux/drivers/xen.

One question though... if you disable CONFIG_ACPI, you
can't achieve transparent paravirtualization, correct?
On ia64, Xen provides a "pruned" ACPI tree.

In this case, CONFIG_ACPI is not user-configurable. x86* and ia64 would always define it, and other architectures would never define it.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center