RE: [Xen-devel] segfault in VM

To: Derek Glidden <dglidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] segfault in VM
From: James Harper <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:50:24 +1000
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 06:52:26 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
that sounds like the same sort of errors i'm getting which appeared to be filesystem corruption. First the corruption starts, then everything you do causes a segfault, although i've only seen funny things happen in dom0.

In the limited testing i've done it looks like dom0 by itself is stable, but crashes start occuring once I start up other domains and work dom0 hard (other domains running under light load). I'm running this script in dom0:

#!/bin/sh
while [ 1 = 1 ]
do
 diff file3 file4 && echo okay
done
where file3 and file4 are around 300mb files, and the vm has 128mb of memory with no swap. This ensures that none of the file is cached so there's lots of I/O.

When i've seen it crash most readily has been when i'm running a few other domains and then start running dom0 out of memory, but nothing conclusive yet.

I'll let this test keep running for another hour (otherwise idle, no other domains running) or so then start my running-out-of-memory program.

I wonder if it is coincidence that we both have smp boxes... each of the domains only sees 1 cpu so I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem unless there's a race in xen itself.

James