xen-cim

Fw: [Xen-cim] Suggested SettingsData changes

To: xensource-cim@xxxxxxxxxx, jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fw: [Xen-cim] Suggested SettingsData changes
From: Gareth S Bestor <bestor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 13:01:38 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 May 2006 14:00:40 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Forgot to respond to all...

- G

----- Forwarded by Gareth S Bestor/Beaverton/IBM on 05/12/06 12:54 PM -----

          Gareth S Bestor/Beaverton/IBM

          05/12/06 12:58 PM

"Subrahmanian, Raj" <raj.subrahmanian@xxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

RE: [Xen-cim] Suggested SettingsData changesGareth S Bestor
I created and used Xen_VirtualDeviceSettingData largely as the stand-in for new CIM_ResourceAllocationSettingData not existing in the CIM schema that I had to build against. Although it really only makes in slight difference in the implementation, unless an abstract Xen_VirtualDeviceSettingData superclass itself will add something meaningful and Xen-specific to the (abstract) CIM_ResourceAllocationSettingData class - which I don't think it will - then my preference would be not to pollute the CIM class model with additional classes for the sake of perhaps minor implementation simplicity. ie ask the Xen_VirtualDeviceSettingData class the question "Justify your existence!" :-)

BTW - you've probably already noticed some of the Xen_* classname suffixes differ from their latest CIM_* counterparts, specifically "VirtualDeviceSettingData" vs "ResouceAllocationSettingData". No reason other than my very early implementation choices while the DMTF modelling was growing up. I'm quite open to renaming the Xen-specific classes to have more appropriate and current names, though I'd rather the class names not become *too* long that they are unmanageable.

- Gareth

Dr. Gareth S. Bestor
IBM Linux Technology Center
M/S DES2-01
15300 SW Koll Parkway, Beaverton, OR 97006
503-578-3186, T/L 775-3186, Fax 503-578-3186

Inactive hide details for "Subrahmanian, Raj" <raj.subrahmanian@xxxxxxxxxx>"Subrahmanian, Raj" <raj.subrahmanian@xxxxxxxxxx>

          "Subrahmanian, Raj" <raj.subrahmanian@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

          05/11/06 03:23 PM

"Jim Fehlig" <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

RE: [Xen-cim] Suggested SettingsData changes

I would prefer that we derived Xen_VirtualDeviceSettingData from
CIM_ResourceAllocationSettingData and then have others derive from
Xen_VirtualDeviceSettingData. It seems cleaner.

Raj