Re: [Xen-users] VT-Support error

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VT-Support error
From: Net Warrior <netwarrior863@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 22:15:18 -0300
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:16:39 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from :user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references:in-reply-to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=PWIxkZj7PoP4FENU3ZIsbErQ2oe/6SQ2MW3ITb1BXKo=; b=wpdkqB+g9egTZmktGMXrIuxGjyjKQuPJZLhChnRWqdL0QSBCwc3M98IEElwzGEy4+O CaZ1R+u1Skl5Cgm98MaNkScJtilnu0j1HMJ8etRGM4iqI6BiVYeWkroSQHMMd2Qt8WmT Ki1UDg5iOrPa5bhaSaZ6YyEKEk1zT87tEb1l0=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 07/12/10 21:15, Trolle Selander wrote:
> IOMMU is a chipset feature, not a CPU feature. For AMD CPUs, you need
> a motherboard with the 890FX chipset to get IOMMU functionality - it's
> the only current consumer-grade chipset that supports it on the AMD
> side. On the intel side, you also need to really do your research to
> make sure you get a motherboard with a chipset that supports VT-d -
> far from all Intel chipsets do.
>
> -- Trolle
>
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Daniel Kao <dkao@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:dkao@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>      On 7/12/2010 4:44 PM, Net Warrior wrote:
>
>         On 07/12/10 19:49, chris wrote:
>
>             if its a athlon II, then there is no vt-d. vt-d is a intel
>             iommu
>
>             On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Net
>             Warrior<netwarrior863@xxxxxxxxx
>             <mailto:netwarrior863@xxxxxxxxx>>  wrote:
>
>                 On 07/12/10 15:00, Daniel Kao wrote:
>
>                      On 7/12/2010 10:54 AM, Net Warrior wrote:
>
>                         Hi there..
>                         I've got the folowing error while trying to
>                         assign the video card from
>                         Dom0 to DomU
>
>                         Using config file "/etc/xen/winkk".
>                         Error: failed to assign device: maybe the
>                         platform doesn't support VT-d,
>                         or VT-d isn't enabled properly?
>
>                         What Am I missing? obviously I've got VT
>                         support enable, cuz I was able
>                         to create the Windows DomU.
>
>                         Config file
>                         pci=[ '01:05.0' ]
>
>                         lspci
>                         01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI
>                         Technologies Inc Device 9710
>
>                         grub config
>
>                         module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.13 ro root=/dev/sda1
>                         xen-pciback.hide=(01:05.0)
>
>                         Anyway xm pci-list-assignable-devices show
>                         nothing, what's wrong?
>

>                         Thanks is advance
>                         Regards
>
>                     VT-d support (PCI passthrough) is a subset of VT-x
>                     support.  Not all
>                     chipsets support VT-d nor is it required for
>                     full-virtualization of
>                     guests. (i.e. Windows)
>
>                     Cheers,
>                     Daniel

>                 I do not understad, what does it mean? that I shoud
>                 not be getting that
>                 error and should be able to pass-throught the decive
>                 to my DomU?
>                 Reading this -
>                  http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/VTdHowTo, also added
>                 iommy=1 to grub, but no luck, still do not get
>                 why xm pci-list-assignable-devices show nothing, at
>                 least should show
>                 01:05.0, in xen pci backend mode also used Virtual PCI
>                 just to test,
>                 same behavior.
>

>                 I'm using
>                 2.6.31.13 #7 SMP Mon Jul 12 15:33:25 ART 2010 x86_64
>                 AMD Athlon(tm) II
>                 X4 630 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
>
>                 All xen options compiled embeded, not
>                 modules/initramfs used.
>
>                 Regards

>         Well, it seems there is no luck!! eventhough I thought this
> [...]
Well, good to know that, anyway  , I've got an m4a785td-m evo mobo which
seems to have the 785G/SB710 chipset
so, no luck.

Thank for your time and support, really appreciated!!
Regards