Re: [Xen-users] VT-Support error

To: Net Warrior <netwarrior863@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VT-Support error
From: Daniel Kao <dkao@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:48:43 -0700
Cc: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:49:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 On 7/12/2010 4:44 PM, Net Warrior wrote:
On 07/12/10 19:49, chris wrote:
if its a athlon II, then there is no vt-d. vt-d is a intel iommu

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Net Warrior<netwarrior863@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 07/12/10 15:00, Daniel Kao wrote:

  On 7/12/2010 10:54 AM, Net Warrior wrote:

Hi there..
I've got the folowing error while trying to assign the video card from
Dom0 to DomU

Using config file "/etc/xen/winkk".
Error: failed to assign device: maybe the platform doesn't support VT-d,
or VT-d isn't enabled properly?

What Am I missing? obviously I've got VT support enable, cuz I was able
to create the Windows DomU.

Config file
pci=[ '01:05.0' ]

lspci
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9710

grub config

module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.13 ro root=/dev/sda1
xen-pciback.hide=(01:05.0)

Anyway xm pci-list-assignable-devices show nothing, what's wrong?

Thanks is advance
Regards

VT-d support (PCI passthrough) is a subset of VT-x support.  Not all
chipsets support VT-d nor is it required for full-virtualization of
guests. (i.e. Windows)

Cheers,
Daniel

I do not understad, what does it mean? that I shoud not be getting that
error and should be able to pass-throught the decive to my DomU?
Reading this -  http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/VTdHowTo, also added
iommy=1 to grub, but no luck, still do not get
why xm pci-list-assignable-devices show nothing, at least should show
01:05.0, in xen pci backend mode also used Virtual PCI just to test,
same behavior.

I'm using
2.6.31.13 #7 SMP Mon Jul 12 15:33:25 ART 2010 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) II
X4 630 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

All xen options compiled embeded, not modules/initramfs used.

Regards

Well, it seems there is no luck!! eventhough I thought this CPU was the
right for me, I made a bad move, or at least the svm
that this CPU supports it's not enough.

So, as for your comment, it seems the vt-d it's an intel feature only?
no way to export pci devices to DomU's using AMD?

Thanks for yor time and support..

vendor_id    : AuthenticAMD
cpu family    : 16
model        : 5
model name    : AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor
stepping    : 2
cpu MHz        : 181187.590
cache size    : 512 KB
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 5
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov clflush mmx
fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow
constant_tsc rep_good nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni cx16 popcnt hypervisor
lahf_lm cmp_legacy extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch
bogomips    : 5624.81
TLB size    : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

If I recall, some people have had luck with AMD SVM. However, it's heavily dependent on which motherboard/chipset you have and if it's enabled. I'd have to search through the Xen list archives, but I remember seeing some successes with AMD SVM for PCI passthrough. -- If you've got the right hardware, Xen will support it.

It's just that Intel VT-d is more heavily used/documented as working.

Cheers,
Daniel