Re: [Xen-users] differencing disks

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] differencing disks
From: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 06:58:06 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Alex Edwards <edwards.alex@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 07:04:28 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:mime-version:received:in-reply-to :references:from:date:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=knAf6Z1FXfQeCRSffoFDiegOYM95nYAQmiE4GAdH6GA=; b=bvR5MiJqKmfFW+eTIk1PK3a8n89olyKLgR+2tjhncy6OFGQWhXjC/Ci32csgpiOQGq KHtbRgahLmtzpCT3nqVztmU0CBGG7gttRB6hjOLYiVxLCjQpQBFf50qcDsOobJplLzhG Xi95xIeD70hdOZUxinWqLA+oyEo/GoajBvgRI=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you're new to virtualization, and use it primarily on laptop for
testing/demo, I'd actually suggest you do not use Xen, and rather use
virtualbox/vmware. Also note that whatever method you use to provide
snapshot/rollback capability, it will incure some kind of overhead
(which can be significant), so be sure to test it first.

--
Fajar

Agreed. Virtualbox has snapshotting built in and works well once you understand their crazy terminology.
There are a lot of complaints in the VirtualBox forums about snapshotting not being straight forward but it does work.
I had to set up a VM, then try different things to figure out what does exactly what but once I had it figured out then I used
it a lot.

Grant McWilliams

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Windows."
Now they have two problems.