Re: Fwd: [Xen-users] differencing disks

<bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
> > On Friday 09 July 2010 09:29:09 Alex Edwards wrote:
> > > hello all,
> > >
> > > I have little experience of virtualisation only what i have read in the
> > >  past couple of days! but i think it can offer me what i need. I would
> > > be grateful for your input.
> > >
> > > I have 3 systems I need to demo, I want to deploy these systems to a
> > > base state where i know that they will be working. At this point I want
> >
> > lock
> >
> > > them. I want to be able to give it at this point to somebody and say
> > > "do want you want" when/if they break it i want to be able to return it
> >
> > its
> >
> > > known stable state. This return to a stable state needs to happen
> >
> > quickly,
> >
> > > seconds would be great but minutes would be acceptable.
> > >
> > > I have been reading about differencing disks and believe that these
> > > would be the right solution?
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > Alex
> >
> > I believe that is a sort of snapshotting you are referring to; AFAIK Xen
> > does
> > not have such a feature, but LVM does. You need to install your root file
> > system on LVM as well, don't know what the effect would be of restoring a
> > root
> > file system snapshot however. Also don't know if this can be done in
> > "seconds"
> > - you need to try this I think. Another way could be to make a RAID1,
> > disconnect it after your initial install, then after changes swap the
> > main disk and mirror it again to the first one to get to the original
> > state. This
> > answers the "in seconds" part.
> >
> > B.

Forget about my remark about the root file system and the RAID1, was thinking
of a physical machine. For Xen, I would do it like this:

- create a master image file
- copy this to in three versions: orginal.img, running1.img and running2.img
- boot the Xen machine with running1.img, have people change stuff
- stop the Xen machine, change the image file in the Xen config to
running2.img
- start the machine again
- copy orginal.img to running1.img
- stop the machine, change config to running1.img
- copy orginal.img to running2.img
- repeat ...

scripted this will only take you seconds. It does suppose however that the
guests are running long anough to have the original image copied in
background.

B.