RE: [Xen-users] TCP Sniffing issues + Snort

To: 'Rodrigo Brayner' <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] TCP Sniffing issues + Snort
From: Stephen Spector <stephen.spector@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:14:13 -0500
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 06:15:03 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm just starting on virtualization with Citrix XenServer and I would really appreciate if anyone could help me. First of all, sorry if I couldn't find an answer on forum, but I've already tried hard.

I'm facing some problems regarding tcp sniffing on a debian lenny virtual server on citrix xenserver 5.5.0 installed on a Dell server HW. I have the server configured with two virtual interfaces, where one of them is receiving a mirrored traffic from an extreme switch. When trying tcpdump directly on xenserver on that interface I can see the full traffic on both xenbr or eth interfaces. Trying tcpdump on the virtual server I can only get UDP traffic (netbios...). I have already tried the procedure described on http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX121729 and others many times, however it is definitely not working. When I try the same procedure on HP or IBM server, I can't even get tcpdump working on the citrix xenserver shell. Am I missing something here?

Did you try the Citrix XenServer message forums at http://forums.citrix.com/category.jspa?categoryID=101? The forums you are on are for the open source Xen virtualization solutions. Thanks.

Stephen Spector