Re: [Xen-users] Questions on qcow, qcow2 versus LVM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Questions on qcow, qcow2 versus LVM
From: "Matthew Law" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:35:28 -0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 05:36:06 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yes, I've tried the dmsetup solution and that doesn't seem to work for me
and I couldn't get PVGrub to work unless I used kpartx.  Maybe my mistake
but that was what I ended up using to get everything working.

I see so many potential filesystem issues with Linux that I am seriously
considering moving over to opensolaris despite it not being considered
production ready yet.  ZFS brings a lot of features for a small RAM
overhead and some CPU usage, but given that it does what we currently do
with expensive RAID adapters, it might be worth it.

The other thing with OpenSolaris is they seem to be actively developing
xen/xvm at a time when most of the linux distros seem to be dropping it in
favour of kvm.  I don't want kvm.  I want Xen :-)

Regards,

Matt.