Re: [Xen-users] Questions on qcow, qcow2 versus LVM

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Matthew Law <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've just done some tests on this and you are absolutely right: with no
> partitions it works fine, so either parted, kpartx or whatever is causing
> the problem.  Now my problem is that I can't run a partitionless volume
> because I absolutely need to use pvgrub and that doesn't seem to work

Yes, that seems to be the case (at least with 3.4.1)

> without a proper partition table in place or I have screwed up somewhere?

You might be able to compile xen-unstable and take its pvgrub. Should work.
http://old.nabble.com/-xen-unstable--pvgrub:-Allow-to-work-with-a-partitionless-virtual-disc.-p19609135.html

Another way to is to investigate why your earlier setup has problems.
To eliminate partition problems, you can map the disk to dom0  like
this:

modprobe xenblk
xm block-attach 0 phy:/dev/vg_name/lv_name xvda w
### do your stuff here. fdisk xvda, mkfs, ta, whatever. Use fdisk
instead of parted.
### don't forget to umount afterwards
xm block-list 0
xm block-detach 0 51712 <== 51712 is the devid for xvda

If that works, then it's 100% confirmed the problem is with
parted/kpartx. Repeat the test, but this time using parted instead of
fdisk, and you get the idea :D

--
Fajar