Re: [Xen-users] Need advice regarding distro, Remus HA requirements

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 09:55:01AM -0500, Tait Clarridge wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 20:17 +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > No idea if remus will make it to RHEL5 though.. probably not.
> >
> > does Remus change anything in dom0/domU kernel?
>
> Yes. It has some kernel patches for the suspend event channel, I believe
> it is required for both dom0 and domU as I never got pygrub working
> properly while testing with remus. I am also doubtful it will make it to
> RHEL5 as even though Xen may have the patches, the code for RHEL xen
> kernels is missing quite a few things that the linux-2.6.18 code from
> xen.org has at this point.

This email (from Remus developer) sums it up:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-11/msg00727.html

short answer: http://xenbits.xen.org/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg dom0 kernel is
required (atm) for Remus.

kernel requirements for Remus:
- dom0: IMQ support/patch
- dom0: blktap2 support
- domU: support for suspend over dedicated event channel. This is not an
  absolute requirement, but makes Remus perform better/faster.

All of that currently exists only in linux-2.6.18-xen.hg.

pv_ops dom0 (2.6.3x) will/should catch up in the near future.

-- Pasi