Re: [Xen-users] grub entries for Dom0 kernel

To: Tapas Mishra <tapas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] grub entries for Dom0 kernel
From: Tait Clarridge <tait@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:41:05 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:41:49 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 22:45 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I have compiled a Dom0 kernel
> and kept in boot the images
> xen-test-vmlinuz
>  initrd-test-2.6.29.img
> xen-3.3.gz
> my /boot/grub/menu.lst looks like this
>
> title           TEST Xen 3.3 / Ubuntu 9.04
> uuid            32ce16fb-1400-4d71-bb37-c98ef140e501
> kernel          /xen-3.3.gz
> module          /xen-test-vmlinuz root=/dev/vga/dom0 ro console=tty0
> module          /initrd-test-2.6.29.2.img
> quiet
>

> I get here an error no of error is 15 and it says could not find the
> file which file is this message referring to and
> the number
> 32ce16fb-1400-4d71-bb37-c98ef140e501
> what is that number in the grub entries which  I am familiar with we
> need to specify root device path
> root (hda0,0)
> and then some kernel and vmlinuz path are given how do I check what
> went wrong with me since the kernel compiled without any errors
> This is the reference which I have followed fully
> http://www.infohit.net/blog/post/compiling-a-xen-dom0-kernel-for-ubuntu-jaunty.html
>
> after compiling the kernel i have installed
> aptitude install ubuntu-xen-desktop
> was it required or not
> every thing done on this system is after formating the machine.

To give you a sense of what it should look like (some will be different
for your environment):

title CentOS (2.6.18.8-xen / Xen 3.5 unstable)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen-3.5-unstable.gz dom0_mem=512M
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
        module /initrd-2.6.18.8-xen.img

The "quiet" tag should be inline with the kernel section (vmlinuz-xxx in
my case, xen-test-vmlinuz in yours).

I have never seen a UUID setting for grub... so I am not sure what that
is there for.

Also, the root device should be where the root installation is.. if you
look at some of the other kernel entries that would be in the same grub
file (for non xen kernels) you will see what the root device should be.

eg. (one of my non xen boot entries, snipped for line length)

title CentOS (2.6.18-164.6.1.el5)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-xx.el5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
        initrd /initrd-xx.img

This shows me the commands I should pass to the kernel for the xen
entry.

In this case it told me my root device was "/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00"
and what options I should pass to the kernel.

If you still having problems booting the xen kernel and it tells you
that it cannot find the root device, make sure that all kernel modules
that are needed to access your disk are loaded into the initrd. There
are plenty of howtos and blogs if you google this subject.

I don't think ubuntu wants anything special vs CentOS in terms of grub..
but maybe a Ubuntu person can comment?

Tait