Re: [Xen-users] Self service interfaces for Xen

To: Jonathan Bayles <jbayles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Self service interfaces for Xen
From: Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 13 Aug 2009 01:52:28 -0400
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:51:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jonathan Bayles <jbayles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Is anyone providing self service interfaces for customers with Xen, what
> products are you using? Where have you seen success?

I have a short shell script that allows a user to run 'xm create -c '
'xm shutdown' 'xm destroy' and 'xm console'  -  access is controlled via
OpenSSH keys and sudo.  It works well, and scares off anyone who needs too much
handholding.

I also use pvgrub so the user can choose his or her own kernel.  I give
each user a read-only partition and a read-write partition.  on the read-only
partition, there is a install of centos and some utilities.  the idea is
pvgrub first hits the menu.lst on my read-only disk, which allows the user
to boot into what I call 'rescue mode'  -  and after 2 seconds it falls
through to the menu.lst on the first partition of the user's writable disk.

I think it works really well for existing customers;   I've had people
go so far as to install NetBSD without any help from me.

The problem is that I don't have an automated way to provision new domains,
or to resize existing domains.    I'm working on that now, though.

I figure if they are all ssh commands, it's easily scriptable, and
the security issues are all pretty easy to spot.

--
Luke S. Crawford
http://prgmr.com/xen/         -   Hosting for the technically adept