RE: [Xen-users] Anything come close to esx for xen?

To: "'Thomas Goirand'" <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>, <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Anything come close to esx for xen?
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:33:34 -0700
Cc: 'xen-users' <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:34:38 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2 is very similar - it has an option to install Xen and there are management pieces in YaST, the primary administration tool in SuSE, for creating and managing virtual machines.  It also uses virt-manager and a couple other packages.

I guess the thing that these sorts of installations lack is the quick and easy configuration for networking and cluster-ready storage.  It took me a little work to get VLAN-based networking set up for Xen (not all that hard once you know what to do), and setting up Heartbeat, EVMS, and OCFS2 takes a little work, too (as does CLVM + GFS on RH-based systems).  In this regard, ESX/ESXi is a bit more "turn-key" than even the Linux distros that include Xen with GUI management support.

-Nick

>>> "Dustin Henning" <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx> 2009/02/25 10:25 >>>
Not to argue, but to point out something else that might be getting
overlooked, when I installed Fedora 8, I had the option to choose
Virtualization packages including Xen and virt-manager, which manages Xen
(among other virtualization options) and includes a GUI.  There is certainly
room for improvement and functionality in virt-manager, and there is the
obvious caveat that each distro that has such a system might have its own
GUI system in this type of install from CD.  However, an alternative that is
any more turnkey than that, and as such, closer to XenServer Enterprise (and
perhaps esx) is for someone to start a project where they generate their own
linux from scratch which is made specifically for running xen, and in doing
so, all that person is really doing is creating yet another distro with yet
another set of tools.  However, such a project would probably be welcome by
users and could potentially include various tools that have been mentioned
in this thread.  Regardless, I would like to say that Nick's post reflects
my opinions pretty well regarding this entire thread, and I'm not so sure
that they aren't the same opinions shared by various others who may seem to
be arguing.
Dustin